On July 12, Netflix debuted its first-ever series in partnership with the NFL with the release of Quaterback season 1.
In the first season, fans got the chance to go beyond the primetime lights to follow NFL starting quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes, Kirk Cousins, and Marcus Mariota across the 2022 NFL season. Through the show, audiences were given never-before access to the three star players as the show shined a spotlight on the hard work that goes into playing quarterback in the league.
The show quickly became a breakout hit for Netlfix, captivating sports fans and making headlines beyond the entertainment bubble with sports outlets flocking to the series and the many soundbites it provided.
Since word broke that a second season is in the works, everyone has been eager to see who Netflix might sign for season 2. Despite being a hit among audiences, Netflix seems to be struggling to find NFL quarterbacks interested in appearing in Quarterback season 2.
Thus far, no active NFL starting quarterback has confirmed they’ve signed onto the cast. Instead, more and more NFL starters have revealed they were asked to appear in season 2 but ultimately chose to pass on the opportunity.
NFL Quarterbacks who have said no to appearing in Quarterback season 2
With the 2023 NFL season set to kick off on Sept. 7, Netflix is currently in the process of approaching starting quarterbacks in the NFL in hopes of locking them down for the upcoming second season of Quarterback. So far, though, Netflix has not confirmed any participants for Quarterback season 2 with our only insights about season 2 coming in the form of players who will not be appearing in the next season of the show.
During preseason interviews, many NFL quarterbacks have ruled themselves out of contention when asked about the prospect of joining Quarterback season 2 by media members. So far, several high-profile players have gone on the record as turning down a role in the second season of the show. Here is a running list of the quarterbacks who have passed on appearing in Quarterback season 2 as of August 18, 2023:
- Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals quarterback
- Justin Fields, Chicago Bears quarterback
- Jimmy Garoppolo, Las Vegas Raiders quarterback
- Sam Howell, Washington Commanders quarterback
- Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback
- Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens quarterback
- Daniel Jones, New York Giants quarterback
- Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback
- Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys quarterback
- Geno Smith, Seattle Seahawks quarterback
- Matthew Stafford, LA Rams quarterback
- Tua Tagovailoa, Miami Dolphins quarterback
Quarterback season 2 quarterback possibilities
In looking ahead to the second season of Quarterback, it is expected that Netflix will follow a group of new quarterbacks with the working assumption being the show will again center around three starting quarterbacks in the NFL. This suggests that Patrick Mahomes, Kirk Cousins, and Marcus Mariota will not be returning for the show’s second season.
With the stars of season 1 ruled out, that originally narrowed down the field in looking at the starting quarterbacks around the league. As of August 18, several quarterbacks have already ruled themselves out by confirming to the media that they will not appear in the show’s second season. This leaves us with 18 potential NFL teams that Netflix might look to, and 22 quarterback candidates due to the fact that there are a few teams who have not yet announced their starting quarterback for the 2023 season.
Here is a list of the quarterbacks who could appear in Quarterback season 2, who have not yet ruled themselves or told media they have passed on the opportunity:
- Desmond Ridder (Atlanta Falcons)
- Kyler Murray (Arizona Cardinals)
- Josh Allen (Buffalo Bills)
- Bryce Young (Carolina Panthers)
- Deshaun Watson (Cleveland Browns)
- Russell Wilson (Denver Broncos)
- Jared Goff (Detroit Lions)
- Jordan Love (Green Bay Packers)
- C.J. Stroud (Houston Texans)
- Anthony Richardson/Gardner Minshew (Indianapolis Colts)
- Justin Herbert (Los Angeles Chargers)
- Mac Jones (New England Patriots)
- Derek Carr (New Orleans Saints)
- Aaron Rodgers (New York Jets)
- Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Brock Purdy/Trey Lance (San Francisco 49ers)
- Baker Mayfield/Kyle Trask (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- Ryan Tannehill/Will Levis (Tennessee Titans)
Quarterback season 1 is streaming now on Netflix.